The 4 Middletons

The 4 Middletons

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Boat



While we were up in Canada, my grandfather (my Dad's dad), was talking to Nick about how he was cleaning out the old barns on his property.  While talking, Grandpa said to Nick that the old boat was up there and he could have it if he wanted it.  The old wooden boat has been the apple of everyone's eyes for as long as we could remember, but nobody has ever asked for it...until a kid driving by came up to the door and asked Grandpa if he could buy it off of him and Grandpa said no he was going to give it to family.  Anyways, a little bit about this boat:

Granny and Grandpa bought it in Ontario in 1966 or 1967.  It's original owner bought it in 1952/1953.  The owner was on the same army base as my grandparents and sold it to them when he was transferred overseas.  It was used by my Dad and his brother and sister when they were kids all over Ontario.  Then they got older and it just sat in my grandparents barn.  My dad and the guy who lived beside us in Orleans, Canada growing up took it to our house when I was 3-4 years old and restored it.  They spent all weekend working on it and finally took me out of a ride on the rideau canal in it.  To their suprise their was an old boat festival going on.  Not that that has anything to do with the story of the boat but its cute.  After that day it went back to the barn...and stayed there for 23-24 years...until this summer.  
My Granny and Grandpa (boat owners since 1966!)

Nick, Grandpa, my cousin Chris, and a bit of help from Cooper pulled it out of the barn and checked it over. It truly is in incredible condition other than some bird and rat poop on it haha.

The boat was on its original trailer and needed a bit of work to be able to make the trip from Ontario, Canada to Dallas, Texas though!  So Uncle Murray and Nick worked hours on updating the trailer, buying a new axel, changing the wheels and bearings and such.  Their hard work payed off and everyone was so happy to see someone so excited to want the boat so much!  


Nick told me one night while laying in bed "I've loved that boat since the first time I laid eyes on it ."  So cute!


So now we are going to be restoring this old boat for the next few months!  Should be fun.  Still looks great, needs a bit of work and some new paint and she'll be working like a charm!

No comments:

Post a Comment